April 2016: In the cool waters of the Pacific Ocean southwest of Cabo San Lucas lie four volcanic islands known as the Revillagigedo Archipelago. You may be familiar with Socorro island, the most diverse in flora, fauna, and topography. Completing the chain are San Benedicto, Roca Partida & the outer island of Clarión. Their distinctive ecology has earned the region the nickname, "little Galapogos" and features a multitude of seabirds, pinnapeds and pelagics: silky, whitetip, Galapagos & hammerhead sharks along with magestic manta rays, whales and many other ocean dwellers. Other things of note include:
- Humpback whales visit during the winter months of January through April. This is a splendid time to hear the sound of the singing mating male escorts underwater.
- Mantas are the claim to fame for the Revillagigedo Islands; the island around which they seem to congregate the most is San Benedicto! The magical dive site called "The Boiler" is a submerged sea mount and cleaning station. More than a half dozen Mantas frequent this pinnacle regularly.
- This is an excellent dive destination for large pelagics due to the open ocean nature of the islands, which sometimes include currents and choppy conditions. The underwater topography consists of rocky outcroppings, boulders and some walls. There is not much in the way of coral as this is a cooler water destination.
- You will need to be an Advanced diver for this trip. Call the shop to get started on that certification now!
This destination can only be dived by a live aboard dive vessel. It takes approximately 24 hrs one way to reach the islands which lie 250 miles off Baja Mexico's southern shore. When embarking on a trip to the Socorro Islands; possible destinations on the itinerary are San Benedicto, Socorro & Roca Partida.
When you set off on a trip on the Nautilus Belle Amie, you will experience "adventure" in every sense of the word. You will voyage to remote volcanic islands in protected marine biospheres that very few people ever experience. You will dive with giant manta rays, wild dolphins and up to 10 different kinds of sharks. In-season, you can even get in the water with humpback whales. The men and women of our crew come from all over the world and share your love of diving as well as a commitment and passion to provide excellence in guest services. Safety never comes second on our ships and our Captains, mates, and engineers are trained and certified first-responders with a full medical kit on board. We are committed to sustaining the ecosystems of the places we visit and actively support conservation and scientific endeavours. We invite you to join us and share our love for Mother Ocean.
You might enjoy the Nautilus Belle Amie page to get an idea of the vessel.
This is on Bruce's top 3 dive destinations. You will need a wetsuit & hood but the marine life is UNFORGETTABLE. Reserve now by calling us at (770)389-9949.
Who is This Trip Ideal For?
This may be the perfect trip if you:
- Want to get in as many dives as possible during your vacation.
- Will not be traveling with any nondivers.
- Are seeking to do little more than just eat, sleep and dive.
- Love sharks, sharks & MORE sharks!
When Does It Take Place?
Here is a sample itinerary...
Arrive a day before departure and overnight in Cabo San Lucas, maybe grab a dive with the Sealions and party with the "Red Rocker" Sammy Hagar at Cabo Wabo.
- Day 1: Departure 8:00 a.m.
- Day 2: MarThe Nautilus Belle Amie arrives in San Benedicto around 6:00 a.m. Start Diving! 4 dives scheduled...
- Day 3: San Benedicto, 4 dives scheduled.
- Day 4: Roca Partida, 3 dives scheduled.
- Day 5: Roca Partida, 3 dives scheduled.
- Day 6: Socorro Island, 4 dives scheduled– Night snorkel with Silky sharks!
- Day 7: San Benedicto, schedule 4 dives. At the end of this day we will start our cruise back to Cabo.
- Day 8: Arrive at Cabo San Lucas. Guests may sleep on the boat.
- Day 9: Disembark the boat at 8:30 a.m.
How Much Does it Cost?
Pricing is as follows:
- From $3354.75 pp/dbl
Deposit and “balance due” requirements are:
- $500 due at sign up
- $400 payments – January 2015, April 2015, July 2015, and November 2015
- Balance is due on or before January 15, 2016
- Deposits & payments are non-refundable unless we can find someone to take your place.
What Is and Is Not Included?
The trip price includes:
- 8 nights/9 days aboard vessel
- 3 meals daily, plus between-dive snacks
- Use of tanks, weights and belts
- 6 Diving Days of BIG ANIMAL ACTION!!
Travelers are responsible for:
- Airport transfers
- $65 Port Tax
- Overnight Hotel in Cabo
- Rental gear, instruction and retail charges
- Crew gratuities
- Trip cancellation insurance
- Dive accident insurance